Old Tired Squire In Action

Old Tired Squire In Action

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Search for Armor

As a returning fighter, I am in the process of looking for "new" armor to protect my poor body.  I got some good ideas from sites on the web:
 
 
 
 
But I'm very picky about stuff I'm going to get hit in and I like to touch and feel it, so I put the following message up on the Facebook page of the Barony of the Stargate:
 
=================================================================
My Dear Fellow Stargate Residents:

After some 17 years out of harness, I am in the hunt for some good, usable munitions-grade armor. All I have at this time is a protective cup. :-)

Does anyone have some serviceable armor they would like to sell (cheap)? I thought I might put this out on the Stargate listserve and here before either (1) ordering new stuff, or (2) trying to cobble together my own setup (which is my eventual goal).

For sizing, I'm about 5' 10 1/2" tall and 185 pounds. Right hander.

I am also in the market for sword rattan and a good basket hilt.

Thanks in advance.

Lord Leif Wadason, (Old Tired) Squire to Sir Karl der Gaenger

===================================================
The good news is that I've had four responses so far.  The bad news is that armor is so freaking expensive! 

I had always hoped that if I tried to start fighting again, I'd have enough money to buy the good stuff.  If forgot to factor in three sons, two dogs and two cats, all of which seem to suck all the money my wife and I earn.  :-)  Come to think of it, that's why I ride a 10-year old motorcycle!

One set was already assembled and from Stonekeep Armoury.  http://spiers-saddlery.stores.yahoo.net/index.html  Nice looking stainless and leather with Kydex splints.  Problem is, we're talking $600 here!

The other set was unassembled and from Illusion Amory.  http://www.illusionarmoring.com/  That is REALLY nice stuff!  But even more expensive than Stonekeep. 

I hope that I can still strike a deal with one of our local knights for the gear he bought for his son, but which never got used.  But I'm still feeling sticker shock. And I'd hate to spend too much money and then find my poor body can't take heavy weapons any more! 

The long term plan is to build my own, but that may take longer than I want right now.  In the meantime, I'm wistfully remembering the "old days" of carpet armor when I was considered "progressive" for wearing a gambeson. 

Leif

No comments:

Post a Comment